Dear Colleagues,

Make plans now to attend the 2012 Gordon Research Conference on Electronic Spectroscopy and Dynamics.

In less than two months, we will meet in Lewiston, ME.  Here's what's in store:

You will find the invited program now up on the conference site:

http://www.grc.org/programs.aspx?year=2012&program=elecspec

and summarized below.

At the conference, we'll build on this exciting core with an outstanding contributed program.  We've scheduled the entire Sunday evening opening session to a poster overview.  Here, each presenter will take two minutes to say the purpose and essential findings of his or her work.  This will break the ice, and enable us all to recognize the meeting's additional themes.

In the scheduled sessions, Discussion Leaders will give opening overviews that highlight issues to watch for in the talks.  The goal will be to stimulate rousing, productive discussion.

In addition, each evening session will end with a Poster Focus, in which one of four newly added Discussion Leaders, drawn from among the poser presenters, will give a brief overview and lead a discussion pointing to an area of focus represented by the posters.

You can see from this that we aim to thoroughly integrate our program of posters, talks and discussion, with the goal of facilitating breakthrough interactions and redefining the frontier of effort in electronic spectroscopy and dynamics.

This is intended to benefit all attendees, but, in the great GRC tradition, we want to bring graduate students and postdocs thoroughly into the mix.  If you are a PI, come and bring a student or two.  If you are a student, ask your advisor to send you.  You'll not want to miss this meeting.

You will see from the GRC web page that we have managed to raise both government and industrial support.  We want to apply as much of this as we can to support attendance by students and postdocs.

At this point, we can commit to guarantee $300 to support the conference fees of every young investigator who registers and submits a poster abstract before June 15.

This is going to be a terrific meeting.  Bern and I look forward to seeing you in Lewiston.

With best wishes,

     Ed

Edward Grant
Professor | Department of Chemistry
The University of British Columbia
2036 Main Mall | Vancouver, BC  Canada V6T 1Z1
Phone 604 827 3475 | Cell 604 764 8687 |

2012 Gordon Research Conference on Electronic Spectroscopy and Dynamics

• Poster Previews
Discussion Leader: Ed Grant (University of British Columbia)

• Coherent Electronic Energy Transfer in Biology
 Discussion Leader: Gregory Scholes (University of Toronto)

Alan Aspuru-Guzik (Harvard University)
From spectra to density matrices: Quantum process tomography for ultrafast experiments

Birgitte Whaley (University of California, Berkeley)
Probing and manipulating electronic quantum coherence in light harvesting dynamics

Jennifer Ogilvie (University of Michigan)
Probing energy and charge transfer with 2D electronic spectroscopy: applications to the photosystem II reaction center

Gregory S. Engel (University of Chicago)
Quantum Transport in Photosynthesis

• Excited State Spectroscopy
Discussion Leader: Helen Fielding (University College London)

Robert Field (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
Rydberg States and Chirped Pulse Millimeter Waves

Albert Stolow (National Research Council Ottawa)
The Dynamophore: Localization of Excited State Dynamics

Poster Focus: to be announced

• Electronic Spectroscopy of Cold and Ultracold Molecules
Discussion Leader: Tim Softley (University of Oxford)

Gerard Meijer (Fritz Haber Institute)
On decelerated beams and trapped molecules

Heather Lewandowski (JILA and University of Colorado, Boulder)
Trapped metastable-state molecules at millikelvin temperatures

Takamasa Momose (University of British Columbia)
Electronic spectroscopy of Zeeman decelerated cold free radicals

Jan-Michael Rost (Max Planck Institute for the Physics of Complex Systems)
Rydberg atoms on the move

• Liquid microjet photoelectron spectroscopy
Discussion Leader: Stephen Bradforth (University of Southern California)

Bernd Winter (BESSY)
Photoelectron Spectroscopy from Aqueous Solution: X-Ray Induced Ultrafast Charge and Energy Transfer

Daniel Neumark (University of California, Berkeley)
Excess electrons in clusters and liquid jets

Poster Focus: to be announced

• Transformation and the resolution revolution
Discussion Leader: Kevin Lehmann (University of Virginia)

Nathalie Picqué (University Paris-Sud)
Direct frequency comb spectroscopy of molecules

Tahei Tahara (RIKEN)
Heterodyned Nonlinear Electronic Spectroscopy at Liquid Interfaces

Trevor Sears (Brookhaven National Laboratory)
Progress in comb-referenced high resolution spectroscopy

Hans-Peter Loock (Queen’s University)
Cavity-enhanced spectroscopy with optical waveguides and microresonators

• Time-resolved x-ray spectroscopy
Discussion Leader: Stephen Bradforth (University of Southern California)

Lin X. Chen (Argonne National Laboratory and Northwestern University)
Ultrafast X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy: Recent Progress and Challenges

 Stephen Leone (Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and U. of California, Berkeley)
Femtosecond and Attosecond X-ray Spectroscopy of Molecular Dynamics

Poster Focus: to be announced

• Excited State Dynamics
Discussion Leader: Spiridoula Matsika (Temple University)

David Chandler (Sandia National Laboratories)
Crossed Molecular Beam Scattering of Electronically Excited State Molecules: Differential Cross sections and alignment moments for NO(A) + Rare Gas collisions”

Eberhard Riedle (Ludwig Maximilians University Munich)
The generation of benzhydryl cations: a complex and multi-step process over many time ranges

Leticia Gonzalez (University of Vienna)
The role of intersystem crossing in photochemistry

Villy Sundström (University of Lund)
Eumelanin - a pigment wired for photoprotection

• Excitonics
Discussion Leader: Keith Nelson (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)

Anna Köhler (University of Bayreuth)
How do triplet excitons and charges move in a disordered film?

Uri Banin (Hebrew University of Jerusalem)
Nanocrystal dimensionality effects on spectral characteristics and energy transfer

Poster Focus: to be announced

To join or leave the molecular-dynamics-news email list, go to: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/molecular-dynamics-news.html