Message from the MIST mailing list. Dear colleagues,

Please consider submitting abstracts to the two sessions detailed below at the upcoming EPSC meeting.

Thanks,

Sarah

European Planetary Science Congress 2012
IFEMA-Feria de Madrid
23 – 28 September 2012, Madrid, Spain
http://www.epsc2012.eu/

Abstract deadline: 23 May 2012

MG4
Comparative planetary auroral processes
http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EPSC2012/session/11474

Auroral radiation has been detected from all explored magnetized planets of the solar system, where their emission is the result of a complex interaction between the sun, the solar wind, the magnetosphere, the ionosphere, as well as moons and rings. Auroral processes cover a wide range of wavelengths (from radio to X-rays) and generation mechanisms, that form a set of valuable diagnostic to remotely probe space plasmas, atmospheric/magnetospheric processes and their dynamics.

Following a workshop reviewing our current knowledge on planetary auroral processes hold at EPSC 2011, this session will focus on the most recent results obtained from the large set of observations provided by numerous spatial missions (Cassini, Galileo, HST...) and ground-based observatories (IR and radio telescopes) as well as modeling and theoretical developments. Special attention will be given to multi-spectral approaches, and comparative analysis. We also encourage contributions regarding future prospects in the frame of upcoming missions to Jupiter (JUNO, EJSM), Mercury (Bepi-Colombo) and ongoing projects to Uranus, Neptune and the Earth.

GP6/MG2
Magnetospheres of the giant planets
http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EPSC2012/session/11448

There are significant differences between the magnetospheres of Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. Studying these diverse systems is important for our understanding of the interaction between the Sun and a magnetized planet, and is relevant to the study of exoplanetary magnetospheres. In this session we invite submissions covering the configuration and dynamics of plasma and magnetic fields in the giant planet magnetospheres. The magnetospheric dynamics topics covered include solar wind-magnetosphere interactions, transport of magnetospheric plasma, magnetotail processes, and periodicities. We particularly encourage submissions that compare giant planet magnetospheres, or compare the magnetospheres of giant planets to those of terrestrial planets. The session will be an ideal forum for the discussion of recent advances in our understanding of these systems. Special attention will be given to recent modeling efforts concerning the plasma, dust and radiation environments of giant planets and their moons in relation to future missions.

Dr Sarah V. Badman
JAXA International Research Fellow
Institute of Space and Astronautical Science
3-1-1 Yoshinodai, Chuo-ku, Sagamihara-shi,
Kanagawa 252-5210, Japan

To send a message to the list, email [log in to unmask] or visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?P1&L=mist MIST Web page is http://www.mist.ac.uk/