From: Christopher Crockett <[log in to unmask]>

> From: Genevra Kornbluth <[log in to unmask]>

>>Wikipedia (source of all things reliable) says that the vexillum started
as a papal thing during the Investiture Controversy,

> this would be c. 1080s?

>>long after the ivories

> http://www.kornbluthphoto.com/images/HarrachDipt2.jpg

>>were made. Is this right?

> c. 1080 looks a bit more reasonable, to me, than, say, 8th or 9th c. --but i
don't know the literature on these guys at all.

> i'm having a hard time putting this/these object(s) in early 8th c. Spain
(or anywhere else).

my apologies to all.

i was depending upon the date of "7th c. Spain or c. 700-750" given on this
site (bottom)

http://www.kornbluthphoto.com/HistoricalIvory5.html

whereas i should have gone to the definitive facebook.com site

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Museum-Schn%C3%BCtgen/135713656462060

and gotten a more reasonable "around 810."

otOh, it appears that Genevra's explicit statement that the figures of
Pete/Phil and Paulie/Andy in question came from the "back" of the panels
apparently suggests that the "front" of them looks like this

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/germany/cologne-st-cecilia-photos/slides/IMG_0854.htm

http://www.kornbluthphoto.com/images/HarrachDipt1.jpg

which are clearly from the early 9th c.

implying that --the ivories being reused-- the "back" carvings antedate those
on the front.

still and all, early 8th c. Spain just doesn't look "right" to me, stylewise.

gosh, those opposing griffins are nicely done.

makes one wonder how a fellow could do such a good job on them and had so much
trouble with human figures.

incidentally, the motif of griffins flanking a booted vessel is a favorite in
the 11th & early 12th c. --with a much longer pedigree, of course.

http://www.ariadne.org/cc/towers/towercaps/griffins.jpg

Jan van der Meulen has an article on it somewhere (but i seem to have lost the
reference).

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]