If that's the case, I would shamelessly borrow Etienne's idea, and
suggest creating a mapping from some of the classifications/vocabularies
which museums use anyway, to whatever the NC framework currently happens
to be.

This mapping only has to be done once, on behalf of the whole community,
for each iteration of the NC, and museum cataloguers don't have to
update all their records each time a new version of the NC comes out.
(This assumes that there is at least some semantic overlap between AAT,
SHIC, ICONCLASS, Nomenclature, etc. and the NC.)

Richard

--
*Richard Light*

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg