From: Talis Aspire Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ian Corns (Talis)
Sent: 25 May 2012 08:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Aspire and OER

Hi,

One thing to be aware of is the 'Access Control' feature on the list. This is usually configured to the SysAdmin, and allows the list to be hidden to public users (forcing the student to authenticate with an institutional login to view the list). There are limits to how many lists that can be restricted this way, but it can be a useful tool when an academic has had the benefits of openness explained to them and still do not wish to provide a list.

Another factor worth mentioning is the list licence itself - less aggressive, but still providing a formal level of protection on the intellectual property of the list.

This article - Preparing your arguments for academic objections to Talis Aspire (http://support.talisaspire.com/entries/20045448-prepare-your-responses-to-academic-objections-on-adopting-talis-aspire) - touches on this area under the section Open Access resistance: “My list is my intellectual property and I don’t want it to be seen by others”.

Hope this is useful,
Ian