We had a trial and some testing at USQ and found that the BCI did not materially change authors’ h-indices and other impact data, due to the relatively small number of books and book chapters actually covered per author in the index, and also (I think) due to the limited citation data available for each book/book chapter, compared for example with free citation data for the same books on Google Scholar.

I tend to use a freeware program like Harzing’s Publish or Perish, which uses Google Scholar data, for book and book chapter citation metrics.

Pat

Pasquale (Pat) Loria

Research Librarian, Library Services

Global Learning Division

University of Southern Queensland | Toowoomba 4350 QLD Australia

T: +61 7 4631 1778 | Fax: +61 7 4631 1493 | Email: [log in to unmask]