Hi Isabelle,

I run a session on ‘self-management’ here at Bradford which is largely a session about motivation.

It can be a bit hit and miss with attendance and I have found that it attracts students with quite widely ranging expectations about what the session will cover.  Despite various iterations of the session blurb, I’ve found that students will often come expecting a bit of time-management/motivation/planning advice in the same session.  I now try to include a bit of all of these things.

Key areas I cover include:

-          Life goals (short-term/mid-term/long-term)

-          Why people do/don’t do things (bit of Maslow and some other Humanist Psychology stuff on motivation and fear)

-          Dealing with procrastination (utilises a couple of exercises drawn from ‘coaching’ literature)

-          An analysis of their time (the learn-higher page on time-management can give you some ideas)

-          A revisit of goals with a bit on SMART targets

You will find lots of useful stuff in Management and Psychology literature on motivation.  The management stuff is a bit, well.. managerial, but it can usually be tailored to a more self-reflective frame with a bit of tweaking and the Psychology material can be used as a theoretical underpinning.

I’ve found two books really useful in particular:

‘Co-active Coaching: New skills for coaching people to success in work and life’  by Laura Whitworth et al. (lots of motivation-type reflective exercises) and;

The A-level text ‘Psychology: The Science of Mind and Behaviour’ by Richard Gross for some nice straightforward theory on human motivation.

I hope this helps as a starter but feel free to contact me if you want more info.

Best wishes,

Mark

Mark Dawson

Development Co-ordinator/Academic Skills Advisor

Room B0.21, Chesham Building

Learner Development Unit

University of Bradford, BD7 1DP

01274 233 023

For directions please visit the following page on our website:

http://www.bradford.ac.uk/learner-development/contact-us/

 Before you print think about the ENVIRONMENT