Dear All,

You may remember that, back in October 2011, Dan Pullinger and I were interested to hear of any examples of Higher Education institutions adopting a university-wide referencing system for their undergraduates and taught postgraduates. We are extremely grateful for the large number of responses that we received!

Please accept our apologies for the very long delay in updating you all on the responses we received and the progress we’ve made here at the University of Leeds:

Summary of responses:

The good, or perhaps bad, news was that we weren't alone in identifying confusion about referencing styles as a problem area for students. Many institutions (libraries within the institutions) have tried to tackle this issue, with mixed success. Many of you reported that it was difficult to get colleagues within single schools or faculties to agree to a single referencing style, never mind a whole institution! Universities including Huddersfield and Plymouth reported being in a similar situation to us here at Leeds; the library offers guidance and support on specific styles of referencing but there was nothing to stop faculties, schools and individual lecturers promoting a range of other styles, leading to confusion for students.

Some of you reported that one of the major problems with trying to adopt one referencing style across a whole university was that different academic disciplines use different systems within their published literature. Therefore, it may be more appropriate to get the institution to agree on a consistent approach to a smaller range of styles, rather than limit academics to one style only. Some institutions did report success in this area, including the University of East London, where there has been institution-wide (with the exception of Law and Psychology) adoption of one referencing style based on ‘Cite them right’ by Pears and Shields. The University of Roehampton also managed to reduce their styles down to Harvard (used by most) MLA (Literature) and APA (Psychology).

It appears that smaller institutions have found it easier to adopt a single referencing system, with Bishop Grosseteste University College being just one example.

Other institutions have managed to reach agreement on one, or several, standard referencing styles, but have nonetheless found that some individual academics continue to promote their own preferred style. This is something that is difficult to tackle and persistence has to be the key here!

Those who did tackle this issue within their institutions generally seemed to follow a similar process, which consisted of drafting a paper that included evidence as to why referencing should be standardised across the institution and recommendations on how to take this forward. The paper was then presented to the appropriate university board. It would seem that reaching agreement at an institutional level is the key, rather than trying to work with departments individually!

Progression at Leeds:

While we did not establish the adoption of one university-wide referencing system, we are pleased to report that we have made significant progress. Our paper was considered by various committees and input was also sought at faculty meetings. Here is a shortened version of the recommendations that have been agreed at an institutional level:

·         All schools that have adopted the Harvard or Numeric referencing styles should use the same standardised version for all taught students. Centralised support for the standardised Harvard and Numeric referencing styles would be provided by the Library.

·         While the ideal would be for as many schools as possible to choose Harvard or Numeric, the Library recognises that some schools would opt to use other styles due to subject-specific requirements. Any school that chooses to use a system other than Harvard or Numeric should direct its students to a single, official guide for that style.

·         While the ideal would be for a single referencing style to be adopted across a whole school, there may be exceptional cases where variations within a school are deemed necessary. For example, the School of English currently uses Harvard for Language modules and MHRA for Literature modules. Therefore, every module handbook across all schools should clearly state the referencing style that is used by the school and should direct students to the official guide for that system (Library guidance for Harvard or Numeric).

·         The Library will maintain a publicly-available document for students and staff to access that lists all schools and the referencing style used in each school. This information will be available from the Library referencing pages.

·         The Faculty Education Services Manager, working with School Education Service Co-ordinators, will be responsible for ensuring that the referencing style for each module is clearly set out in relevant handbooks.

While it’s a compromise from what we originally intended, it does mean that schools using Harvard and Numeric will have to use the same version (based on the British Standard). Individual tutors will no longer be able to pick their own referencing style based just on personal preference, and students will have clear information as to what referencing style they must use, plus one source of guidance to follow.

We will be making minor updates to our referencing webpages over the summer to reflect this new approach, though most of the support for students is already in place: http://library.leeds.ac.uk/referencing

Please don’t hesitate to contact me ([log in to unmask]) or Dan Pullinger ([log in to unmask]) if you would like any more information about how we tackled this issue at the University of Leeds.

Best wishes

Michelle

Michelle Schneider

Academic Skills Development Officer

15 Blenheim Terrace

University of Leeds

LS2 9JT

T 0113 34 35527

W http://library.leeds.ac.uk/people/Michelle-Schneider

http://twitter.com/skills_library

Consider the environment. Please don’t print this email unless you really need to.