From: "HOLDSWORTH R.E." <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:00:47 AM
Subject: Re: Paper review process

Dear Dennis and all,

Speaking up on behalf of Editors...

It is worth remembering that Editors themselves often receive very little or no financial reward for the work they do and take the job on in addition to all their normal duties as academic researchers and teachers. Their motivation is partly based on interest and partly on wanting to do good for the general community - much the same reasons that motivate reviewers. I think that we all recognize that if we all put our shoulders to the wheels of publication as reviewers/editors then all will benefit as authors. Well that's the theory...

In reality, there are times when being an editor is a real pain in the preverbial backside. Some authors take exception to rejection and can create a great deal of trouble for an Editor if they feel so inclined. This can get quite nasty and very personal. The bigger the beast (ego) and the bigger the journal, the worse this problem becomes. Reviewers are a problem too: they often dont answer your requests, thereby leaving the review process hanging, or accept the job and then take months to do the job ("sorry - lost the request, dog ate it" - you name it - i've heard the lot in terms of excuses). And then they may not do a very good job. This is then a real dilemma for the editor: make do with a bad review or get another one?.....Finally Editors face one other dilemma - authors often want their papers reviewed by big names, but many big names also make the worst reviewers (for all sorts of perfectly good reasons).

It ain't easy being an Editor....

Having said that I am at a loss as to why Editors would prolong the review and decision process in the way you indicate Dennis. This damages your paper processing times  and can harm your impact statistics. Editors are generally under pressure from publishers to make decisions not prevaricate or pass the back back to reviewers. I am at a loss to explain this.

Best wishes
Bob Holdsworth