From: List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of rebecca mileham
Sent: 18 May 2012 16:16
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: History of Contraceptives

I was involved in an exhibition about the male contraceptive pill back in 2001 at the Science Museum (when scientists were thinking it would become available 'in about five years' time'!) and I remembered we researched the Science Museum's contraceptive collection at the time.

I just had a look for what's online now, and found some hopefully useful things on the museum's site:

History of Medicine gallery: http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/visitmuseum/galleries/science_and_art_of_medicine/ondisplay.aspx?page=2 - contraceptive sponges etc

'Brought to Life' site: http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/broughttolife/themes/birthanddeath/condom.aspx - an illustrated article about the history of condoms, and you can also search on this sub-site on 'contraceptives'.

www.scienceandsociety.co.uk<http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk> - searching on the Science Museum's image catalogue under 'contraceptive' brings up all sorts of lovely things like the 'reusable condom' (1948).

Not all examples are relevant to the last 60 years of course.

Rebecca.