Agree with Dianne - a more informative set of questions would be hard to find!

I think the subtracting z-score maps should work fine - as you say,
they are a measure of connectivity, so subtraction will yield change
in connectivity maps, which can then feed straight into randomise.

-Tom
Centre for Integrative Neuroscience & Neurodynamics
School of Psychology and CLS
University of Reading
Ph.  +44 (0)118 378 7530
http://www.personal.reading.ac.uk/~sxs07itj/index.html