Pete,

Hey! The intensity normalization causes each individual  fMRI volume to
have the same mean. I don't think FSL generally recommends it.
Feat does not do a global signal regression. A global regression would
calculate the timecourse across the whole brain mask, and
regress it away. There is not a Feat option for this, but you could do it
after the pre-processing as many people do. fsl_glm would
work for this.
By default, Feat normalizes the 4D mean to 10,000 (it does this just
because BOLD units are arbitrary). It comes out to not be exactly 10,000
but that is only because a mask is
applied afterwards, so it usually is slightly below 10,000 for all subjects
after preprocessing.

Chris