I like these divisions - they transform a "general attitude of
skepticism and curiosity" (which we often bemoan we cannot teach) into
manageable "chunks" for the learner.
How about another division on "numeracy" (From Goutham Rao's paper on
this - as well as others, I'm sure) - understanding sampling,
error/confidence and risk (absolute and relative)?
John

John Epling, MD, MSEd, FAAFP

Associate Professor and Chair
Department of Family Medicine
Co-Director, Studying-Acting-Learning-Teaching Network (SALT-Net)
Associate Professor, Public Health and Preventive Medicine
SUNY-Upstate Medical University
Syracuse, NY
Clinical: http://www.upstate.edu/findadoc/eplingj
Faculty: http://www.upstate.edu/faculty/eplingj
>>> Michael Power 05/12/12 5:42 AM >>>
Hello

I am crowdsourcing ideas on an outline of critical appraisal skills ---
comments on the following framework would be appreciated

Thanks

Michael

CRITICAL APPRAISAL SKILLS

1. Scientific critical appraisal for inadvertent methodological
weaknesses
Approaches and checklists such as those of the Cochrane Collaboration,
GRADE working group, AGREE, CONSORT, STARD, *

2. Forensic critical appraisal for deliberate distortion of the evidence
Methods used for unethical marking such as ghost writing, seed trials,
evergreening, off-label marketing
Fraudulent manipulation of data/analysis

3. Cognitive critical appraisal for psychological pitfalls
Theories about normal biases that affect decision-making e.g. those of
Daniel Kahneman
Theories about medical diagnosis and decision-making e.g. those of Pat
Croskerry
Empirical evidence misplaced optimism about research results e.g. the
work of John Ioannidis