Ros Wright

From: ESOL-Research discussion forum and message board
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Julie Furnivall
Sent: 18 May 2012 10:53
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Advice on distinctions between ESOL and functional skills

Hello Dominic

I have taught functional English at levels 1 and 2 as part of an
apprenticeship programme, and all of my learners had the characteristics
of ESOL learners.  I have also taught ESOL for around 30 years, and I
have been a consultant and trainer under the Functional Skills Support
Programme and the Skills for LLN programme.

The biggest issue (in this context) is that Functional English isn't an
ESOL qualification.  It is designed for native speakers, and this is
very obvious as soon as you look at the sample assessment materials from
any of the awarding organisations.  My learners needed a long time to
learn the skills required for Functional English - much longer than a
native speaker would need.  This is a very obvious statement to make,
but for some reason it isn't obvious to policy makers and funders.

Having said that, my learners enjoyed the challenges of the
qualification, and gained a great deal from the speaking and listening
aspects.

Hope this helps, Dominic.

All the best

Julie