There is clearly more substance in this debate than I first thought. Looking at it from a linguist’s perspective, I think the issue boils down to needing to consider:

(1) the plausibility of a name being formed from an Aramaic (properly Syriac, i.e. the Edessa literary dialect of Aramaic) adjective ‘arba:y ‘Arabic’; the corresponding noun in Syriac is ‘u:ra:ba: ‘Arab’, so we need some support for the idea that the adjectival form of the root could be used onomastically rather than the nominal form;

(2) its being made into a name in British Celtic or British Latin by the simple addition of inflectional <-a> rather than some more contentful suffix such as <-ica> or <-ana>;

(3) why Latin writers might have chosen to perpetuate this exotic form in the name rather than the Arab- which was already familiar to them. If they really did use the established form Arab-, then the text of Notitia Dignitatum is corrupt, but corrupt in a way which suggests transmission by British Celtic users because of the use of the “river-name suffix” -eia.

Aramaic source: http://cal1.cn.huc.edu/

Richard