Please see details of this event below - sorry for any duplication!
Diane

Improving the first year experience: opportunities and challenges

A European First Year Experience Day Event

Tuesday June 19th 2012
10.30am-3:30pm
Hosted by Teesside University, UK, at their Darlington campus

With no European First Year Experience Conference this year, the Conference Organising Committee is hosting a day event focusing on research and practice designed to improve first year student experiences. This event is being held at Teesside University, who were the host of the very first EFYE Conference in 2005. We would be very pleased to see you at this event.

Ed Foster and Becka Colley, of the HERE 'Higher Education Retention and Engagement'  project will be presenting in the morning. www.HEREproject.org.uk<http://www.hereproject.org.uk/>.

Building on the highly rated Show and Tell sessions at previous conferences, in the afternoon there will be a series of similar sessions to enable individuals or institutions to show case their initiatives and present their work to a wider audience.

If you have an initiative or research findings you would like to share at this event, please contact [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> before May 31st. Please note this will not be a formal presentation slot, but rather an opportunity to show and tell to a number of other delegates with similar interests. (However, for those whose attendance is dependent on presenting, this will provide a dissemination opportunity). If you would like more information, please contact me.

You are, of course, not required to bring anything to share but are welcome to come along to gather ideas and information from other delegates and to meet other people who are committed to enhancing first year student experiences.

If you have not been to a European First Year Experience Conference or event in the past, you will find these events are friendly, interesting and informative, with lots of opportunities to meet academics, support staff, researchers, managers, and students who are enthusiastic about working with first year students and enhancing their learning experiences. If you have been to one of the EFYE Conferences, you will already know this, and it will be great to see you again!

There is a small charge for the day of £60 and places are limited so you are encouraged to place your booking as soon as possible.  Any materials will be shared with participants after the event. To book a place, please go to http://onlineshop.tees.ac.uk/

For more information on the venue, see http://www.tees.ac.uk/sections/Darlington/contact.cfm  Darlington is on the east coast main trainline (approximately 2 and half hours from London) and close to the Durham Tees Valley airport. A list of accommodation in the Darlington area is available on request.

It is hoped to host a second day event outside the UK in the Autumn, but a venue is yet to be confirmed. Next year, 2013 we expect to hold the next EFYE Conference, and we are in discussion with possible venues. We look forward to seeing you at one, or all, of these events.

Best wishes
Diane
Dr Diane Nutt
Chair of the European First Year Experience Annual Conference Organising Committee

Author of 'International Perspectives on the First Year Experience in Higher Education'
http://www.nrcpubs.com/p/102/international-perspectives-on-the-first-year-experience-in-higher-education

Department for Learning Development
      Teesside University, TS1 3BA
      ' 01642 384286