I wrote a blogpost last week, prompted by evidence of a blatant contravention by one local authority of their statutory duties towards disabled people. http://jennymorrisnet.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/disabled-people-do-have-rights.html

I included a reference to an advocacy project, run by RADAR, which had prompted some really important court cases in the 1990s.  Bob Sapey posted a comment on my blog, reminding us that the project had an earlier history - going back to 1982 when RADAR published a report called 'Putting teeth into the Act'.  Subtitled 'A History of Attempts to Enforce the Provision of Section 2 of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970' it's rather shocking to realise that this was a full 30 years ago.

The 1970 Act remains an important piece of legislation - but still local authorities are ignoring it, often because disabled people aren't aware of their rights and don't have access to good advocacy services.