I thought it might help some to see the ISBD document that this
formalizes. Unfortunately, the ISBD document is not online (there is a
book for purchase, only).

The wikipedia article is unfortunately brief:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Standard_Bibliographic_Description

I found a version of the ISBD document that I had on my computer which I
believe is a bit preliminary to the printed version. I have placed it
online at:

http://kcoyle.net/temp/isbd2007.pdf

I hope this isn't an act of piracy, but I can't see how we can discuss
the AP without seeing what it is an AP of. The aspects of ISBD that are
key to our discussion are the 8 "areas" and their elements. You can get
a quick overview of these on pages 21 and 22 (which may be sufficient
for our discussion).

kc

--
Karen Coyle