Here's what the Newcastle Cycling campaign concluded

7.Peter gave a presentation on cycle helmet research and engaged us all in frank discussion. What a riveting topic! Thanks to Peter for braving this difficult subject and finding a way to bring about the conclusion through our discussion: we are pro-choice. Helmets are a personal decision everyone of us makes. It’s ok to wear one, it’s equally ok not to.
But whilst the research jury is out and the topic is a non-topic in the cycling community, sadly it keeps distracting and prying on the public mind! Peter: “No country with high bicycle use has a high percentage of helmet wearing.” The campaign will continue to lobby councils to adopt a pro-choice attitude.

From Newsletter http://newcycling.org/news/20110930/september-2011-newsletter-0

Kat