I agree, I believe that health and safety is an entirely personal decision if the choice does not put others at risk. Therefore helmets, either for motor cyclists or cyclists should be optional, as should front seat belts in motor vehicles, but not rear as the chance of damaging someone in front in the case of accident is fairly high. I have never understood why there is moral pressure placed on cyclists to wear helmets by other cyclists, the 'self-policing' mindset, I am sure that we have all been party to it either as recipients or givers...perhaps both!  What difference does it make to those who do wear helmets if others do not? I am sure someone on this group will have done the research to explain.

Nicholas Oddy

From: Cycling and Society Research Group discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jennings Gail
Sent: 10 May 2012 15:53
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Collection of Cycle Concepts 2012[Scanned-Clean]

Glad you included us all. I agree with you. In SA helmets are mandatory, and there's pressure on cyclists to police each other if we don't wear helmets!  I've even been yelled at by drivers for not wearing a helmet, as if I'm breaking some law that puts them at risks! Whenever the question of bike-share / bike-rental comes up, there's the helmet issue that just won't go away...