It's not terribly recent, but in Oxford I'd trace the step-change in
middle-class "normal" cycling (ie outside the education sector) to the
large number of cycle/bus lanes that were installed in the late seventies
and eighties. Since then it's been a steady accretive approach of gradually
adapting the main roads further (taming them by various means, chipping
away at the parking and installing cycle lanes). In terms of numbers, the
volume (barring the approach to a few secondary schools) is all on the main
roads. It's been supported by the development of quiet routes, but that's
not where the numbers are.

You can spend a very long time building enough of a culture to generate the
political will to do something about the main roads (and the techniques for
doing so are probably as Adrian describes). Or you can look at cities that
are a little further along with the process and take some shortcuts.

In terms of international examples, Berlin and Munich are usually cited,
having experienced substantial modal shift (probably from public transport,
and not from a hyper-low base). They would cite infrastructure (pavement
tracks, and a very cheap-and-cheerful approach to adding cyclists to
pedestrian crossings: both measures that are now being phased out in favour
of cycle lanes...)
Richard