The tub of lard strategy may be called for.

Since this is an international list, I may have to explain that a famously
rotund politician kept cancelling scheduled appearances as a guest on a TV
news quiz show. After covering up for him a couple of times, they did an
episode where his seat was occupied by a tub of lard.
Richard