Hi all,
I'll second Eric's remark: in France, in our state-funded universities, ILL is not free. It is either paid by the scholar's research team (a team with often limited resources: I was once called in by my head to stop my 'unreasonable ILL expenses'. They amounted to 36 euros for one year - and the team's resources did not allow for the same access for all other researchers) or by the researcher herself, out of her personal money.
I have been lucky enough not to have to ask the list about any article, relying on other informal means and personal contacts (thanks guys!), but access is a huge problem. Just to give you an idea of the magnitude of the problem: I have currently no institutional access to either Antipode or Progress in Human Geography… I have to go through ILL, and pay, or rely on friends.
So,
- well-funded libraries and free ILL do have to be supported, by all means, as they are a very rare service even in rich countries
- and I share the frustration of people having to go through the list to access knowledge

Best,
Myriam

Myriam HOUSSAY-HOLZSCHUCH
http://www.ens-lyon.eu/73516614/0/fiche___pagelibre/

Professor
Junior Fellow, Institut Universitaire de France
Co-Editor, ACME: www.acme-journal.org
Associate Book Review Editor, H-SAfrica

University Joseph Fourier / University of Grenoble
Institut de Géographie Alpine - Cité des Territoires
14 bis avenue Marie Reynoard
38100 Grenoble - France
UMR 5194 PACTE
tel.: +33 (0) 4 76 82 20 00/20 29