James,

We have the same thing with Glacial Till over Woburn Sand on top of a hill in Leighton Buzzard.  My best ground model suggests barometric pumping due to the 'sealing' of the underlying aquifer in the area of the monitoring well and level changes due to barometric pressure or recharge in the underlying aquifer.  We often get bungs sucked in and blown off of the wells.

This is just a theory and I have not yet been able to test it thoroughly, I am always happy to consider any other explanations.

Matt

Matt Paddock MSc FGS	 Principal Geo-Environmental Engineer
Trendrevel Services Limited, The Old Court House, 20 Simpson Road, Fenny Stratford, Milton Keynes, MK2 2DD
T: 44 (0) 1908 365258	  F: 44 (0) 1908 365721	E: [log in to unmask]	W: www.trendrevel.co.uk

Trendrevel Services Limited Disclaimer: This email is a PRIVATE communication for the sole use on the intended name recipient.  It may contain privileged and confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, notify the sender immediately and destroy this email. You must not copy, distribute or take action in reliance upon it. Whilst all efforts are made to safeguard emails, Trendrevel Services Limited cannot guarantee that attachments are virus free or compatible with your systems and does not accept liability in respect of viruses or computer problems experienced.