In principle there's no reason why you can't invert the hand of the
indices, as long as the program which does it also takes care to
convert any hand-dependent columns such as anomalous differences,
F+/F- etc in the appropriate manner at the same time.  The program
will also need to convert any phase or phase-coefficient columns, but
it will have to do this anyway, even if the hand is not inverted, in
those cases where the space group contains screw axes (since then you
will get phase shifts on reindexing for certain subsets of
reflections).

So if the data consist only of I's or F's without anomalous data or
phases then inverting the hand will have absolutely no effect (it's
called "Friedel's Law").

I note from the documentation that reindex will invert the hand if the
keyword 'LEFT' is supplied, though whether it then treats the
anomalous data and phases correctly is anyone's guess!

The question is really whether it's likely ever to be _necessary_ to
invert the hand; this will depend on the reciprocal space asymmetric
unit chosen by the processing program.  One could imagine a situation
where the a.u. chosen by one processing program was on a different
hand from the a.u. required by another.  In such a situation you would
have no choice but to invert the hand of the indices, though I suspect
you would be better off doing it with CAD which will do it reliably,
rather than reindex which may not (judging by the comments in the
reindex code!).  Whether such a situation ever occurs in practice, I
don't know, maybe not.

Cheers

-- Ian