An interesting discussion.

Debs:

I think you raise a key issue with your question "Did you talk to any of the young people about their experience?"

Rupert: I think this is where your concerns about kids being humiliated or thought of as losers or indeed their de facto inability to give adult consent may be less than perfectly founded. I've observed kids getting involved in all sorts of competitions over the years. They get over losing very quickly in my experience. If anything, winning seems to do more harm. And the harm amounts to a slight swelling of the head. Again fairly temporary.

Rhys: "the wrong idea about poetry"??? I appreciate your own immediate second take on this, but come on :)
I haven't been to many slams. Some I disliked. Some I thought were exhilarating. I agree with you that it'd be a poor reading that had no performative element, at least at first glance. I remember one reading where the poet sat at a table, a pile of sheets in front of him, and he read the lot without even looking up once. It was mesmerising.

It's amazing what will work. And if poetry stops being amazing, that's only temporary too.

best

Randolph