Dear Kevin,

At Aberystwyth, we used to ‘roll over’ by removing the students from the modules, and then enrolling new students. We kept one instance of each module, with whatever content was in it at the time of rollover.

Starting last summer, we went to a ‘course copy’ process. We set up a new template and made a copy of all active modules for the coming academic year. The copies include all of the previous year’s content but will have the current year’s students. The Blackboard course ID includes the academic year and we changed the My Institution page to put current modules in a separate box. We now keep one instance of each module per academic year, and allow last year’s students to retain access to last year’s version of the module. We can also do the course copy earlier in the summer, because we don’t have to wait for resits to be completed before doing roll over.

We had an outreach campaign to talk to each department and encourage them to refresh their modules through the process of moving to the new template. We are repeating it again this year to pick up any modules that have not been refreshed.

Our aims were:

·         Help students learn by allowing them to keep access to their modules from one year to the next

·         Enable academic staff earlier access to revise their modules earlier in the summer

·         Encourage academic staff to refresh their teaching material and module organisation

·         Give students a more consistent experience across modules when using Blackboard

We are happy with the result, but will be doing more outreach to make sure that all the modules are reorganised to fit the content into the new template properly for next year.

It will be interesting to hear what other institutions have found when encouraging staff to refresh their modules.

Thanks for opening this thread.

Cheers,
Mary

Mary Jacob, BA, MA, CMALT, FHEA
Cymorth E-ddysgu / E-learning Support
Grwp E-wasanaethau a Chyfathrebu / E-services & Communications Group
Gwasanaethau Gwybodaeth / Information Services
Prifysgol Aberystwyth / Aberystwyth University
SY23 3DZ
Ffôn / Tel: (01970 62) 2473
Ymholiadau Blackboard / Blackboard Queries: [log in to unmask]
Ymholiadau E-ddysgu / E-learning Queries: [log in to unmask]
Nexus http://nexus.aber.ac.uk