Can I also report an innovation rather than an invention from the University of Southampton?  Apologies for advertising but this is also linked to research and evaluating user needs.

An Arabic version of ATbar was launched in the Mada Center, Qatar last week http://arabic.atbar.org .   Do please pass this news on to any Arabic speakers as we are keen to have it thoroughly tested and for new plugins to be suggested.  It is an open source browser based toolbar offering support for web page reading with text to speech and word prediction as well as a spell checker, text enlargement and colour changes.   It is also available in English http://www.atbar.org  and there is a market place where you can make your own toolbars with other plugins such as calculators, easy print views of web pages etc. Those keen on developing things can also use the source code or join the community http://api.atbar.org/

Do put any new ideas for plugins and other assistive technologies on www.realisepotential.org as we are also aiming to build a community around open source assistive technologies.

Many thanks.

Best wishes E.A.

Mrs E.A. Draffan