 From: Jonathan Kay <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, 18 May 2012, 10:35
Subject: Patient direct access to reports

A few points:

1 The smart way to do this is by patient access to the GP system. That would include access to LM reports but also to other record elements and to transactions such as appointments and medicine management. (In other words: don't build a project that only covers LM reports.)

2 The best way to handle investigations related to monitoring differs from the best way to handle investigations related to diagnosis or screening.

3 These projects will take off very fast because they will use 'net and 'phone based architectures, and not fall into the trap of organisation-based architectures that causes us so many problems.

4 This will be a major part of the ACB Spotlight day (see below), and Amir Hannan will be there. He is the world expert GP on how to do this well. See you there.

Jonathan

26 June 2012 – Adding Value to Laboratory Medicine Reports
Organised by Jonathan Kay for the ACB Spotlight series.
With the emphasis on accuracy and precision in diagnostics, quality can often fail at the final hurdle – the reporting and presentation of those results. Covering general topics about the basics of getting information to the right people from consultants to GPs to patients, this meeting will deal with reliability and error limits, improved graphic displays as well as a debate and vote on adding interpretative comments. This is your chance to become part of forming the consensus best practice.
It will include haematology and microbiology speakers and data as well as from clinical biochemistry and immunology.
An essential meeting for medical and scientific staff involved in ANY branch of diagnostic care.
Speakers include –               Jonathan Kay, Bill Bartlett, Craig Webster, Danielle Freedman
Brian Shine as well as GPs Drs Amir Hannan and Filson Ali
Topics include –
· Statement of problems
· Getting reports to the right people and systems
· How to display data in our reports
· Complex Haematology reports
· Microbiology reports
· Reports to patients
· Debate Motion: Adding interpretative comments to reports is a good use of my time.
The full programme for the meeting can be found on the ACB website Meetings page - click here.
Online registration can be found at the ACB website as follows.
Click this link for the discounted ACB Members Trainee rate –
http://www.acbstore.org.uk/site/product.aspx?productuid=255732&clickproductonpage=/site/category.aspx?categoryid=865
Or here for the ACB Member non-trainee fee–
http://www.acbstore.org.uk/site/product.aspx?productuid=255730&clickproductonpage=/site/category.aspx?categoryid=865
NB – this will show the full price but discount will be applied once you logon with your membership number.

On behalf of the Scientific Committee of the Association for Clinical Biochemistry

Patient direct access to results

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/
>********************************************************************************************************************
>
>This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the
>sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.
>Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:
>to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
>
>Thank you for your co-operation.
>
>NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland
>NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipients
>NHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhere
>
>********************************************************************************************************************

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk