On 5/16/2012 @ 3:57 PM, Jon Sharp doth schreibble:

<SNIPS>
> One key question for me re: directional issues is whether we believe
> place/location to have innate qualities with which we work. If we do
> see an intrinsic functional aspect to location then rather than
> adjusting the direction of our movements we might focus on an
> exploration of magical systems already 'in tune' with that location.

Hi, Jon!

Since the Stoic model for energetic transactions in the cosmos
was primarily a biological one, exploring and determining the
qualities inhering in various loci was also a concern of early
astrology and astrological medicine and magic - we find astro-
cartographical procedures and diagrams in Ptolemy's *Tetrabiblos*,
for example (these schemata turn up much later in the work of
Kelley and Dee, btw).

Entities such as stones, plants, animals, people, towns, cities,
countries, &tc. are all nested within the Climes, and they all
irradiate and communicate with one another - a 'terrestrial
astronomy'.

The larger/composite entities - countries/principalities - are
tied in with the concept of egregori that we have been discussing
recently. These bear some similarity to the concept of nerve plexi
or ganglia in the nervous system.

See:

Egregor (Egregore)
by Liora S. Bernstein
@Archive.org
http://tinyurl.com/85g7q8g

" The Stoics, on the contrary, followed the precedent of various
Presocratics and of Plato in holding that the 'whole cosmos is a
living being (or animal: zoion), ensouled and rational, having as
its ruling principle [hegemonikon] æther [typically equated with
fire by the Stoics].' . . . What is most remarkable about this
'vitalism' is that the Stoics evidently insisted that the active,
life-giving, rational, creative, and directive principle of the
cosmos is just as corporeal as is the passive, 'material'
principle. "

~ from:

"The Cambridge Companion to the Stoics"
by Brad Inwood, page 129.
(Preview @GoogleBooks)
http://tinyurl.com/6tzv23d

One late example of the Stoic insistence upon the corporeality
of Spirits can be found in the Humoural Physiognomy of the Spirits
described in the *Heptameron* and the *Key of Solomon*.

For example:

Spirits of Saturn: Tall, lean, slender body.

Spirits of Jupiter: Sanguine and Choleric, of middle stature.

Spirits of Mars: Tall, Choleric.

Spirits of the Sun: Large, full and great body Sanguine and gross.

Spirits of Venus: Fair body, middle stature.

Spirits of Mercury: Middle stature, cold, liquid and moist.

Spirits of the Moon: Great and full body, soft and Phlegmatic.

See also:

*Temperament: Astrology's Forgotten Key*
by Dorian Gieseler Greenbaum
(Preview @GoogleBooks)
http://tinyurl.com/2c6jdz3

*Astrological Physiognomy from Ptolemy to the Present Day*
by Bernard Eccles
@SkyScript.com
http://tinyurl.com/337fw9w

*Reading the Human Body: Physiognomics and Astrology in
the Dead Sea Scrolls*
by Mladen Popovic
(Preview @GoogleBooks)
http://tinyurl.com/385ywbm

*A Contribution to the Study of Palaeologan Magic*
by Richard Greenfield (.PDF)
@DumbartonOaks.org
http://tinyurl.com/6sxb26y

*The Humours: Introduction to Decumbiture*
by Dylan Warren-Davis
http://tinyurl.com/cce7t4

*Astrology and Health: Vitalism and Humours*
by Dylan Warren-Davis
http://tinyurl.com/2lglm9

Ptolemy's *Tetrabiblos*
http://tinyurl.com/dbzttz

*Book of the Seven Planets*
by Ramon Llull
http://tinyurl.com/es787

You might also wish to compare Giordano Bruno's system of
Planetary Images:

*Giordano Bruno's Images of the Planets*
@ReoCities
http://tinyurl.com/2apymys

Cors in Manu Domine,

~ Khem Caigan

"Heat and Moisture are Active to Generation;
Cold and Dryness are Passive, in and to each thing;
Fire and Air, Active by Elementation;
Water and Earth, Passive to Generation."

'Of the Division of Chaos'
-Dr. Simon Forman