Azal,

I don't recall another article, but there may well have been one.

And no, I don't know of anything on veves and ruhaniya sigils, but it's
a fascinating question. I would assume there's some crossover between
modern ruhaniya and Zar practices, no? From what I know of it, Zar could
legitimately be called Islamic(ate) voudon, insofar as its origins lie
in the historical Muslim slave-trade and the integration of slaves from
various parts of Africa.

As for the sigils, the oldest examples of those in manuscript that I
know of are in codices originating in Yemen. This brings to mind some
researchers who have traced Zar to spirit-possession practices among
Ethiopian Christians and Jews. Also, I know there's a great old book in
French on Ethiopian magical sigils (Deleuze and Guattari draw on it in
/Mille Plateaux/, so I'll have to check there to find the title). In any
case, perhaps the nexus of all this runs across the Gulf of Aden? Just a
thought.

- Noah