There is a German dissertation from the 1930s I am presently co-translating
which was originally published by a German university publisher not long
after it was submitted. The book went out of print for decades (only
published in a single edition), the author passed on long ago, but it was
subsequently republished by an Austrian outfit in 2009. The recent edition
claims on the front cover that the new publisher holds copyright over any
future translations of this work. Knowing a little about copyright laws,
this claim by the publisher sounds somewhat dubious to me, a claim which
would easily be challenged legally, especially given the circumstances.

Has anyone encountered an analogous situation where a publisher can claim
rights over any future translations of a work to which they weren't the
original publisher? Also my understanding is that translations usually
become the propriety of the translators.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.