Hi,

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 03:59:23PM +0100, alan buxey wrote:
> > I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has had any success with
> > the older Kindles at all. Also, if anyone is retiring their
>
> older Kindles will work - you just need to connect into them with the
> USB and edit wpa_supplicant files manually....which isnt good. its
> not user friendly...and the user/pass are stored in clear text on the
> device too.

Ah - no wpa_supplicant config viewable when connecting this to USB
(although nice you can just drop PDFs and MP3s on it, though sadly
no OGG support - it's not mine though, so less of an issue!).

> > web-based captive portal login systems, and what you do when
> > complaints arrive with the 'but I can't connect my <select out of
> > touch with reality device here> to eduroam' argument.
>
> we got rid of our captive portal a long time back.  theres a finite limit

Yeah - We've been trying to get rid of ours for a while. We're now
due to disable it this summer, but of course as soon as you start
to announce its demise, the complaints start to arrive. After a
while management start to query if it's the right thing to do.

The fact that eduroam is one of the largest services that we
currently provide, in terms of number of users, goes largely
unnoticed. :-(

Matthew

--
Matthew Newton, Ph.D. <[log in to unmask]>

Systems Architect (UNIX and Networks), Network Services,
I.T. Services, University of Leicester, Leicester LE1 7RH, United Kingdom

For IT help contact helpdesk extn. 2253, <[log in to unmask]>