The Centre for Transport Studies is pleased to welcome

Dr. Anders Johansson (University of Bristol)

to lead a seminar entitled

Multi-scale Human Mobility: Towards Smarter Transport

to be held

Wednesday 2 May 2012 – 16:00

Please join us for presentation and discussion at

Room 601, Skempton Building, Imperial College London
(Maps and travel directions: http://www.cts.cv.imperial.ac.uk/html/Miscellaneous/travelDirections.asp)

Abstract
Depending on what scale we look at a certain system, different types of dynamics, properties and mechanisms are revealed, and different types of research questions can be addressed. However, if we simultaneously look at the same system at several different scales, the mechanisms identified at a micro scale can often explain the patterns that emerge and the resulting behaviour of the system at a macro scale. We will illustrate this by looking at human mobility and related transport systems at several different scales – ranging from small-scale crowd dynamics, up to urban multi-modal transport systems, and we will also look at different aspects of human mobility in urban areas, which includes navigation, route choice and interaction embedded within a geographical and social context. Finally, we will elaborate how these aspects of human mobility – in particular the interplay between supply and demand of time and space, in information-rich societies can lead us towards smarter transport.

About the Speakers
Anders Johansson (www.ajohansson.com<http://www.ajohansson.com/>) is a Senior Lecturer in Systems Engineering at the University of Bristol, an Honorary Senior Research Associate at the Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis (CASA), University College London (UCL), an external examiner at the International Centre for Crowd Management and Security Studies, New Buckinghamshire University, and Director of Crowd Vision Ltd. He has expertise in crowd dynamics, urban multi-modal transport modeling, complex systems, game theory, and social simulation.

Next CTS Seminar

Dr. Marcel Rommerts (European Commission) will be leading a seminar titled “The role of the European Commission in stimulating policy transfer and Europeanisation in the field of urban transport” at UCL on Wednesday 9 May 2012 @ 16:00

About the CTS Seminar Series
The CTS seminar series aims to facilitate discussion on current research topics in the transport field.  Seminars are held jointly with our colleagues in the Centre for Transport Studies at University College London. They are usually held on Wednesday afternoons at Imperial College London or University College London.

Seminars are free of charge and open to all interested parties. Booking is not required.

For further information: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
CTS home: www.imperial.ac.uk/cts<http://www.imperial.ac.uk/cts>