Dear all, and my apologies for the earlier cryptic message, which I was thinking was only going to Rowdy, rather than the whole list.

Certainly any TC closures are a concern, and the ATCA is mindful of the situation in South Australia as in other parts of Australia.  I will be developing a response to the posting on Update, however I need to gather more information first. All Australian services have been in a difficult position of waiting to hear about funding for the coming year (commencing July 2012) from the Australian Government. This is an unforgiveable situation – with many services in the non-Government sector (residential and community-based) now looking at releasing staff as they cannot be sure if they will refunded. This is against a backdrop of all NGOs having to prepare submissions last year within a very short time frame – and submitted on 23 December. There was a commitment that funding decisions would be known by the end of March to allow 3 months to make any necessary adjustments in light of funding decisions – which may of course involve reduction to funding levels, or defunding of services.  Our Government has committed to bring in the budget with a surplus rather than deficit – whatever the cost – and that has included reduced funding to health (ironical as that situation is – a health policy decision which increases ill health!)

Added to this is the unique Australian situation where some funding for health services, and particularly for alcohol and other drugs, comes from State and Territory Governments as well as the Australian (Federal) Government.  In South Australia, the Government has withdrawn funding from some residential services (not members of the ATCA although one is working towards becoming a TC). The impact of this is not yet know, as of course services may have a number of funding sources – nevertheless the sentiment in the original email remains – any loss of beds is a concern.

In the case of Kuitpo, the organisation itself remains funded. However, an internal review decided that their country location was untenable because of concerns about bushfire, maintenance and ongoing access to water (the spring which services the property is owned by a neighbouring farmer, and ongoing access could not be guaranteed in the event that he sold up).  Kuitpo has made a decision to relocate and will still be providing residential services. They are a member of the ATCA, and we are hopeful that they will continue to provide TC services.

The other ATCA member in South Australia is the Woolshed. This is a Government-owned program, also in a rural location, and I have recently been there to undertake a review.  The ATCA will conduct a second peer review in the coming weeks. The SA Government has indicated they are committed to maintaining the Woolshed, and currently considering some expansion. Of course the tension here is that if an increase in funding to the Government sector results in a reduction to the NGO sector, the overall provision of services is reduced and people are denied choice.

This is all a work in progress.  I will keep everyone informed, particularly as the news finally filters out from the Australian Government – now a month overdue and causing hardship to the sector.

Thank you everyone for your support.

Kind Regards

Lynne

Lynne Magor-Blatch MAPS, MCFP

Executive Officer

Australasian Therapeutic Communities Association (ATCA)

Ph:   0422 904 040

PO Box 464

Yass NSW 2582

www.atca.com.au

The ATCA acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people as the Traditional Custodians of this country and its waters. We wish to pay our respect to Elders past and present and extend this to all Aboriginal people seeing this message.