It might also be worth backing off a little from the undoubtedly
interesting discussion about memory accounting, and asking what
it is that ATLAS are actually trying to achieve. If what we're
really talking about here is some jobs that usually use less than
2GB of memory, but occasionally and briefly expand to about 3.5GB,
and we want to know whether sites can run them or not, then we've
got something concrete to think about.

Running jobs like that certainly doesn't need swap space equal
to twice RAM, and in practice, doesn't even need swap space
equal to RAM. Indeed, this sort of usage pattern seems to me
to be more or less what we already see, and on a mixed worker
node individual jobs going over 2GB for a bit usually just fits
in memory that's unused by other jobs on the node.

So; is that what lies behind all this, or is there something
else (like a workload that would use 2Gb of memory and 2GB
of swap as a steady state)?

Ewan