Dear SPMers,

I would like to compare two groups of subjects ( 31 females and 50 males) using a flexible factorial design, with a 2 x 2 factorial design (two groups and two conditions), and a covariate (total GM volume). I have set up the design following the tutorial by Glascher and Gitelman (two groups of subjects, design 1) and have  run the following contrasts:

main effect of condition:
[zeros( 1, 81 ) 1 -1 1 -1]
[zeros( 1, 81 ) -1  1 -1 1]
With this contrast  the results make sense.

Then I have run the following:
interaction group x condition:
[zeros( 1, 81 )  1 -1 -1 1]
[zeros( 1, 81 )   -1  1  1 -1]
Are these contrasts correct if I want to test group x condition interaction?

Finally I have tried to assess the main effect of group using the following contrasts:
[ones( 1, 31 )/31 -ones( 1, 50 )/50 0.5  0.5  -0.5  -0.5]
[-ones( 1, 31 )/31 -ones( 1, 50 )/50 -0.5  -0.5  0.5  0.5]
These contrasts only work when I completely  remove the covariate (GM volume) from the design.  I cannot figure out how to assess for differences between group while including the covariate in the model.

Thanks a lot for your time,
Vittoria