From: Richard Malim [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2012 12:06 PM
To: Cavanagh, Sheila T
Subject: International Spenser Society

Dear Professor Cavanagh,

In my retirement I am trying to do some research on Tudor writers, and I need to clear up certain matters raised by the 1590 edition of The Faerie Queene.

The authorities show that there were 17 dedicatees of the “Verses addressed by the Author of the Faerie Queene to Various Noblemen etc.” in the 1590 edition as repeated in the 1596, but I have ascertained that in at least one (the Grenville copy in the British Library) , there are only six named such persons in addition to the general Sonnet to the “gratious and beautifull Ladies of the Court” and the long letter to Sir Walter Raleigh.  While the 17 dedicatees are shown at the beginning of the book, the Grenville copy has them at the end , i.e. after the end of Book III

The British Library have been able to tell me the whereabouts of (some of the) other 1590 editions, and that there are apparently three versions or variations of the 1590 print.  I am trying to contact the Librarians of the various institutions, but my lack of recognised qualifications (degrees etc.) makes this a tedious business.

I wonder if you or any of your colleagues in the International Spenser Society have trodden this path before, and would be very grateful if you could put me in touch appropriately.  It occurs to me that the Society may possess or may have ready access to the prints or facsimiles of the 1590 edition which would advance my researches which I hope in due course to turn into an Essay in which in particular the roles of Spenser and Nashe together will be considered.

I can tell you that any help that you or your colleagues could give will be very much appreciated

Yours sincerely,

Richard Malim
The Courtyard, 45 Royal York Crescent,
Bristol BS8 4JS, U.K.