Dear list members,

As we all know, Sir Philip Sidney found only four specimens of English poetry worthy of accolade in the Defense of Poesy:  Chaucer’s Troilus and Criseyde, the Earl of Surrey’s lyrics, some anonymous text titled The Shepheardes Calender, and…A Mirror for Magistrates, the immensely popular historical verse tragedy collection Sidney proclaimed “meetly furnished of beautiful parts.”  Edmund Spenser too shared Sidney’s enthusiasm for the Mirror, borrowing from its poem “Cordila” images employed in his Cave of Despair scene and, from other tragedies in the collection, elements of his British history in FQ 2.10.

On behalf of conference organizer Harriet Archer, I would like to forward a call for papers for an upcoming conference specifically devoted to that Sidneian favorite A Mirror for Magistrates, to be held at Magdalen College, Oxford University, on September 14-15, 2012.  Among the speakers already confirmed for the event are several who will be quite familiar to students of Spenser and Sidney, including Andrew Hadfield, Bart van Es, and Michelle O’Callaghan.

Proposals (300 words or less) are welcome not only on the Mirror and its contributors, but also on a whole range of topics related to the genres, themes, and influence of this remarkably long-lived collection.  Please see the attached flyer or visit the conference website at http://mirrorconference2012.com/call-for-papers/ for full details. The deadline for proposals is May 1.

I hope some of you will be able to make it!

With best wishes,

Scott

Scott C. Lucas

Professor of English

The Citadel, the Military College of South Carolina

Charleston, SC  29409

(843) 953-5133