…Yes, that’s what Daphne Du Maurier would have said, had she only had the chance to visit that glittering porcine pleasure palace perched on the banks of the mighty Ohio River, Cincinnati, USA.

It’s too late for Du Maurier, alas, but you all still have the chance to “live the dream.”  Due to some late panel arrivals from a certain learned society (not, I’m happy to say, our ever-punctual International Sidney Society), SCSC has decided to keep the submission site open for an extra week, until Sunday, April 22.  The English-literature track of the conference welcomes submissions on any aspect of early modern English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh literature and culture for the 2012 meeting, October 25-28, in Cincinnati, Ohio.

I am pleased to report that we have an outstanding array of papers on Spenser, Sidney, and Sidney Circle already, but I’d love to have more join the conversation.  Surprisingly, there is not so far a single proposal related to the works of Lady Mary Wroth.  Philip Sidney, Mary Sidney, Robert Sidney, Henry Sidney, Fulke Greville, Samuel Daniel…all yes.  But no Wroth—at least nothing submitted to the English literature track.  I can’t remember the last time that has happened!  If anyone out there is interested in presenting new work on her writings, I’d be more than happy to review it for inclusion.

So don’t suffer in the manner of the virtuous pagans in Dante’s first level of hell:  tortured by the knowledge that there is a Cincinnati, but that you will never come to it.  To submit a proposal for SCSC 2012, just go to http://96.126.126.10/ . For more information about the conference, visit www.sixteenthcentury.org

I’m looking forward to seeing many of you in October!

With best wishes,

Scott

Scott C. Lucas

Professor of English

The Citadel, the Military College of South Carolina

Charleston, SC  29409

(843) 953-5133