Jim Nohrnberg makes a good point about how even today we use verbs for oral expression when we refer to written expression, as in “Freud says” rather than “Freud writes” (and, of course, we use the present tense when technically we mean the past, since Freud wrote whatever he wrote decades ago).

I am always struck by this when looking at early modern manuscript lyrics, which often end with something like “quod Wyatt” or “finis quod Ralegh.”  Quod would seem to suggest that the author spoke the poem out loud.  On the one hand, the use of “quod” perhaps indicates a desire for the sense of the personal in a copied-down lyric expression, making the lyric to be the personal utterance of its composer in a state of emotion (it is the kind of thing he/she would say and not something he/she constructed somewhat more dispassionately as an artifact).  On the other hand, one often finds “quod” used at the end of narrative broadside ballads, works which are not primarily presented as emotional personal expressions of their authors.  Furthermore, one often finds “quod” used for texts only “signed” with initials, e.g. “quod T. C.”  One could imagine a manuscript compiler just jotting down initials for an author he/she knew personally and still having the sense of the personal, but one finds this practice even in printed popular works, where it is unlikely that any particular buyer might know who wrote the work.  Why say “quod” if the speaker is not an individual with whom one can definitely associate the utterance?  Is it just a convention, like “Freud says,” or did it have more force than that, given that evidently for some early modern readers of poetry reading was primarily an oral activity?

Another thought about quod or quoth:  I have often seen constructions such as “’Looke in thy heart and write,” quod Sidney,” but I don’t remember ever seeing “Sidney quod, ‘looke in thy heart and write.’”  (or “quoth the raven, ‘Nevermore!,’” but not “The raven quoth, ‘Nevermore!’”)  Is “quod/quoth” the only English verb for which the subject invariably comes after the verb rather than before it?

Just some Friday afternoon musings.

Scott

Scott C. Lucas

Professor of English

The Citadel, the Military College of South Carolina

Charleston, SC  29409

(843) 953-5133