Dear colleagues - please find below a statement on the release of our
Strategy and Strategic Plan 2012-2015.

If you have any question about, or feedback on, the document, please
contact the authors on [log in to unmask] The document is released
under a CC-BY licence and we would love to hear from you if you find it
useful in your institution.

Regards
Sam

Sam Searle
Data Management Coordinator
Monash University Library

www.researchdata.monash.edu

*Monash University releases Research Data Management Strategy 2012-2015*

Monash University is the first university in Australia, and possibly the
world, to have released a strategy for managing the data generated by and
used for research.

The Monash University Research Data Management Strategy and Strategic Plan
2012-2015 is now available at:

https://confluence-vre.its.monash.edu.au/display/rdmstrategy/Research+Data+Management+Strategy+and+Strategic+Plan+2012-2015

The University Librarian, Cathrine Harboe-Ree said that the strategy would
enable Monash University to build on its successful track record in
developing infrastructure and services that help researchers store,
organise and disseminate their research data more effectively.

“Research data management is an essential part of effective and responsible
research. Over the past five years, Monash University has invested
substantial effort in developing policy frameworks, technical solutions,
training programs and advisory services that make it easier for our
research staff and higher degree by research students to manage their data
well. The strategy suggests areas in which action is now required for
Monash to move to the next stage of managing research data more
effectively.”

The strategy was jointly developed by the University Library, the Monash
e-Research Centre and the university’s enterprise IT group, eSolutions. Ms
Harboe-Ree said that the distributed responsibility for research data
management at Monash University had worked well. “Researchers need
technical infrastructure to support their data, as well as data capture and
workflow tools to allow them to work with their data. They also need a good
understanding of policy requirements and the skills to deal with complex
data-related issues, such as intellectual property and ethics. The strategy
also suggests that the active dissemination of research data should be seen
as a way to increase the impact of Monash research.”

The strategy outlines a number of goals and initiatives, which will be
prioritised and scoped in consultation with internal and external
stakeholders. Many smaller initiatives are already underway, while larger
and more complex areas of work would require more detailed plans and
costings.

Ms Harboe-Ree emphasised the availability of the strategy to other
organisations, which could be interested a and use it as a basis for their
own strategies.

“We are committed to improving research data management at our own
institution, and also across the research sector as a whole. Most research
is now undertaken collaboratively, and Australia is leading the world in
terms of developing a national approach through the Australian National
Data Service. We hope that the public release of the Monash University
strategy under an open licence will prompt other organisations to develop
holistic and sustainable institutional approaches to research data
management. We also look forward to working with other organisations to
address collaboratively many of the broader national and international
issues such as research data skills development and emerging requirements
for measuring the social and economic value of data re-use."