We have a small piece of freelance work available at the Royal Institution project managing the next few Family Fun Days at the Royal Institution.

Our Family Fun Days are on a Saturday and run from 11am to 4pm, they are aimed at children from around 7 to 12 years old with their parents (and often younger siblings). We usually have two speakers to deliver alternating, repeating talks (25-30min) in the theatre, along with around 20 stands around the building manned by lovely postgraduate volunteers with small experiments, demonstrations and make and take activities. These are often supplemented by workshops or other contributions from external organisations (please do also get in touch if you’d like to run something at one of our Family Fun Days too!)

The days are based around a loose scientific theme such as hot and cold, biodiversity or ancient science which have all been used in the past. The dates and themes for the rest of 2012 are:

9 June – Textiles/knitting

7 July – Sport

6 Oct – Colour

3 Nov – Oceans

We are looking for someone who would be able to:

·         Be able to come into the Ri for our prelim meeting/brainstorm a couple of weeks before each event

·         Suggest their own ideas for stand content and contact prospective external speakers and display/workshop providers, in consultation with Ri staff.

·         Prepare demo posters using our template

·         Attend the each FFD and be in our office on at least the Friday or Thursday before it

·         Ensure that there are at least 20 demo/expt stations (inc. externally provided)

·         Ensure that there are at least two speakers and that they are aware of timings and expectations for the talks

·         Do all the above for a flat fee of £1500 per FFD

We are happy to accept offers of interest for all 4 remaining FFDs, or for individual days depending on availability.

If you think you may be interested please get in touch with a brief CV and letter.

Thanks

Olympia Brown

Science Learning Manager

The Royal Institution

e: [log in to unmask]

t: +44(0)20 7670 2969

www.rigb.org

www.richannel.org

Follow the conversation on Twitter and Facebook

********************************************************************** Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive, can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html You may also change your settings and subscribe/unsubscribe to psci-com from the web site.

Psci-com is part of the National Academic Mailing List Service, known as 'JISCMail'. It adheres to the JISCMail Acceptable Use Policy: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/acceptableuse.html and to the JISCMail guidelines for etiquette: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/etiquette.html

Email commands: 1. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example, send an email to mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com mail -- [include hyphens]

leave psci-com -- [include hyphens]

Please allow up to 24 hours for these commands to activate. Remember that you will need to send commands using the same email address that you used to register on psci-com. To contact the Psci-com list owner, please send an email to: [log in to unmask]