Hi all

I would value your suggestions. We have had a referral of an individual who works as a pool attendant / swim teacher for the local authority. She has had bi-lateral mastectomy ( at least a year ago now) and has requested from her manager that she be supplied with a wet suite for work given that she was advised that she would be more likely to feel the cold as a result of the surgery.

I have scouted the internet, but cannot find any reference to an individual feeling the cold more because they have had mastectomy? Has anyone heard this before. There are plenty of sites indicating various types of swimwear, but nothing to suggest a wetsuit is actually needed. Then there is not reference that I can see specifically to pool attendants / swim teachers with the problem.

While there is no specific objections to agreeing to her request, obviously this could then pose further issues for management and we do try not to simply agree equipment requests without good reason for so doing. Would value your thoughts or suggestions on this. Thanks

Anita Churchouse
Team Leader OH local authority
BSc OH / SCPHN / RGN/ RM