Hi Lynda,
I started out as a Mobile Health Screening Nurse, the "Mobile Clinic" was about the size of a Luton removal van which also had an Audio booth. I found it very useful in as much that you could organise the other equipment to your own preferences, it had windows, always a bonus with some so-called O/H rooms and you had everything with you. This was prior to Sat Nav assistance, so you still needed to be aware of narrow roads etc...A lot of my work was for the Aggregate Industries and they would arrange for me to be in a nice quiet spot, which usually had to be re-jigged, 'cos it was too far away for my electrical hook-up cables to be connected up to. On balance I personally prefer the Mobile Van system, I've yet to work anywhere which was better insulated, calming atmosphere for the client and clean. I daresay there exceptions to this but compared to some of the less than salubrious O/H suite facilities I've been shown in to, it beats them all hands down.
Good Luck,
Sue Jones.

On 16 April 2012 11:28, Karen Coomer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Lynda

I have no experience of working in a mobile unit but a few customers of mine, who have used them, have given me feedback that they have found them to be noisy as they are often parked on the roadside or in the car park and they also said that in one case the van swayed when a big lorry passed by. One switched back to doing audios in a building because of this reason.

Like I say no experience myself but I guess common sense would suggest that where they operate from is as important as where you do audio’s inside, in relation to ambient noise.

Karen

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lynda M Bruce
Sent: 16 April 2012 10:55
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Mobile Occupational Health Unit

Dear colleagues

I am thinking of starting a venture that would require a mobile Occupational Health Unit fitted in particular with facilities for audiometry.

Before I start I wonder if you could share some information with me.

Questions are

  1. Have you ever used a mobile OH unit and if so what are the pros and cons
  2. Is it better to buy or rent
  3. If renting who is the most likely supplier

I look forward as always to what always proves to be  responses that are interesting ,informed and on occasion thought provoking

Best wishes

Lynda Bruce

Aberdeen