I have followed the discussion with interest. I agree that the
intolerance for activity such as knitting sits with the very medicalised
and mechanical rendering of birth that so many midwives have done so
much to struggle against.  However, I have to take issue with the
unsubtantiated comment, Denis, in your reply:

"The other issue that is so disappointing is how a HoM could not see
that it is exactly these midwives that are committed and brilliant
practitioners of normal birth, that they would be skilled at detecting
abnormality and responding to emergencies."

This is not to cast aspersions on the skill or otherwise of the
particular practitioners whose experience stimulated this debate, but
HOW can we infer from the practice of knitting that individuals are
"committed and brilliant practitioners"?  There is no connection and to
suggest that there is, violates all principles of evidence based judgement.

Carolyn Roth
LME&  Director of Undergraduate Programmes
Keele University
School of Nursing&  Midwifery
Clinical Education Centre
Newcastle Road