The classic study of this issue is Joseph De Ghellinck's Pour l'histoire du mot "sacramentum" (Louvain, 1924).   I think you will find it very helpful.

Gary Macy
John Nobili, S.J. Professor of Theology
Chair
Religious Studies Department
Santa Clara University
500 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, CA 95053-0335
408-554-2357

>>> Kurt Sherry <[log in to unmask]> 4/19/2012 8:01 AM >>>

I can’t think of a source off the top of my head. Eastern Orthodox writers began using sacrament as an equivalent when they wrote in Western languages (but, then, the Russians actually studied in Latin in the seminaries for several centuries, so it’d be interesting to see what they have to say about the terms). The Greeks used the term mysterion, but never adopted a loan word of sacramenton as far as I know. There is a definite difference between the implications of sacramentum and mysterion in Latin and Greek, respectively. I just checked perseus and noticed that mysterium was used in late antiquity in the same sense as mysterion (i.e., it was literally just a loan-word), but it did note Ecclesiastical Latin with two definitions (which reflected the Greek definition, but also linked it to sacramental worship).

A good person to ask about sources, actually, would be Warren Farha at Eighth Day Books (http://www.eighthdaybooks.com/ ; 800-841-2541; it’s the best book store in the world and I’m not just saying that because I happen to live 2 blocks away). He may not know much about the shades of meaning of the terms in Latin and Greek, but he would almost certainly know which books would lead you to the answer (the dude is AMAZING as something of a matchmaker between people and books). He’s out of town doing a book table in Grand Rapids at Calvin College, but he’s worth contacting.