On 04/14/12, I wrote:

> 2)  Thomais of Alexandria (d. later 6th cent., supposedly).  Thomais' story is recounted in one of the narratives concerning St. Daniel of Skete (d. ca. 576).  A virtuous and pious young woman of Alexandria who was married to a fisherman, she had the misfortune of having her father-in-law succumb to diabolical influence by falling in lust with her.  One night, when her husband was out fishing, the father-in-law sought to have sexual relations with Thomais; reminding him of the divine judgment that waits sinners, she refused steadfastly, saying that she would not sin even were he to cut her in pieces.

Er, the ... judgment that awaits sinners...

Apologies for the slip.

14. April is also the feast day of:

3)  Benedict, founder of the bridge at Avignon (d. 1184).  There is of course more than one bridge at Avignon.  The one in question is the famous pont Saint-Bénézet, named for the man who conceived the project of building it, obtained permission for its construction from the bishop of Avignon, raised funds for it, and oversaw the labor of its erection in the 1170s and earlier 1180s.  According to his brief Vitae (BHL 1097, 1098), to a brief collection of eyewitness testimonies (BHL 1099), and to at least one chronicle account, he was a shepherd in the Vivarais whom Christ instructed on three occasions to build this bridge, who operated miracles, and who received a cult upon his death.

Benedict's tomb is in Avignon's collégiale Saint-Didier:
http://tinyurl.com/7vtukx5
While we're here, a few views of this church, an originally mid-fourteenth-century successor to at least one earlier church of the same dedication:
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/7637326.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lilosphotos/3377400162/
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/59314228.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/6mvhq6e

A few views of what's left of the since much rebuilt Pont Saint-Bénézet and of its chapelle Saint-Nicholas:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38490142@N05/4079046644/
http://tinyurl.com/d432h7c
http://tinyurl.com/cz8nzgr
http://tinyurl.com/d5zgxt9