From: Christopher Crockett <[log in to unmask]>

> From: Cecilia Gaposchkin <[log in to unmask]>

>> Raymond talks about singing an office of praise in 1099 to thank God for
being able to take Jerusalem.

>>He calls this the "officium de resurrectione."

> yes.

>>I am just trying to figure out what that would have referred to. Given the
circumstance, it must have been an existing office;

>why do you say that?

>> given the place and circumstance, I thought the Easter liturgy would have
been appropriate for the connotations of Victory and Resurrection that the
taking of the city must have evoked.

>>Indeed, a new and fancy office was written in this wake.

> how do you know that?

>>According to Amnon Linder

> http://jewishhistory.huji.ac.il/Profs/HU/history/linder.htm

>["Abstracts of Current Research: The evolution of the Liberation-of-Jerusalem
liturgy: This study analyzes the evolution of the special liturgical
observances evolved during the twelfth century in the Crusaders' Kingdom of
Jerusalem to commemorate the liberation of the city in 1099."]

>>one survives that dates to about 1120.

>yes, but why do you think that office "was written in the wake" of the
celebration of it that Ray notes took place on 15 July, 1099?

> esp. since you seem to think (below) that there was an "*existing* office
[that] the crusader-camp-clerics turned to in 1099" ?

what does the ref. kindly supplied by Paul

Cristina Dondi, The Liturgy of the Canons Regular of the Holy Sepulchre of
Jerusalem: A Study and a Catalogue of the Manuscript Sources, Turnhout:
Brepols, 2004

have to say about these matters?

>>I'm increasingly convinced his dating is probably right, though I haven't
actually seen the manuscript yet (which is 13th c). It follows the text of
Raymond of Aguiliers in a compilation, though I don't think it should be
attached to that text.

> and yet, Ray is our first source for its celebration in the [Soon-2-Be]
Latin Kingdom, is he not?

> surely the presence of his Historia right next to that office in the ms. is
not coincidental, is it?

>>Holy Sepulchre manuscripts which date to after the rededication of the Holy
Sepulchre,

> that's what, in the 1140s?

>>....What I am simply trying  to ascertain was what *existing *office the
crusader-camp-clerics turned to in 1099.

> rather than one they made up on the spot (or adapted) for the Joyous
Occasion...

>>My understanding is that the liturgy in use by the Eastern Christians in,
say, 1095 in the Holy Sepulchre was highly Byzantinized; but in 1099 I imagine
they turned to Western sources they brought with them.

> why?

> was there a _de resurrectione_  office celebrated in the West --perhaps
specifically in "a Norman liturgical setting" as Kurt suggested yesterday as
one of Ray's possible sources?

>>Of course, its not clear whether at this point the Eastern clergy were part
of the "ivimus" that the first person plural of cantavimus indicates.

> i suppose that new liturgical "offices" rarely Sucked Themselves Out of
Their Own Fingers (to use Irwin Panofsky's teacher's happy phrase --from
another context) so, assuming that Ray was caught up in a totally new, ad hoc
celebration is something of an Uphill Slog.

> but, if you can't find any other evidence for it before Ray's account (such
as it is) and the 1120s ms. --if it's not known to survive in the Eastern
liturgy (or even the Norman liturgy), what *is* he talking about?

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]