medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture John, Christopher: In the original sentence only partly quoted below, I simply said that the crusader clergy were very conscious of the association of the Resurrection with the Holy Sepulchre *as witnessed by* post-1099 liturgical developments, of which I gave a couple of examples. -- Paul

On 3 April 2012 00:33, John Briggs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On 02/04/2012 15:03, Christopher Crockett wrote:
From: Paul Chandler<paul.anthony.[log in to unmask]>

....commemoration of the Resurrection every day through the year, and an
additional Solemn Commemoration of the Resurrection on the last Sunday of the
year (i.e., the Sunday before Advent).

so, if Cicilia's reference is to a commemoration which occurred on 15 July, it
obviously is not the "Solemn" one which is in December, right?

or are the Hapless Liturgically Challenged insufficiently Confused, even yet?

Rather more of a problem is that we are using liturgy developed after the event in an effort to determine what actually happened on the day.

We need to establish whether there was a pre-existing liturgy for the "Iter Sepulchri" which culminated in an "office of the Resurrection" at the Holy Sepulchre itself.

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
[log in to unmask]uk
to: [log in to unmask]
medieval-religion-request@jiscmail.ac.uk

Paul Chandler, O.Carm.
Holy Spirit Seminary  |  PO Box 18 (487 Earnshaw Road)  |  Banyo Qld 4014  |  Australia
office: (07) 3246 9888  |  home: (07) 3246 9894